26 September 2007

Where are all the fabric stores?

Where are all the fabric stores? When I was a kid, I remember my mom swerving off the road at the sight of every fabric store. We would spend time going up and down each and every aisle, touching the fabric we liked. It's one of my fondest memories from childhood and a very important connection that I share with my mother.

I swear, there must have been a fabric store every 1/2 mile back in the day.

Not so anymore. I know Waco is a rather small city, but all we've got is a tiny, itty-bitty little Joann's, a Hobby Lobby with just about no apparel fabric to choose from, and a Wal-mart that's about to quit selling fabric. That's it.

Yes, one can order fabric over the internet, but there is no tactile satisfaction in this process. I mourn the demise of fabric stores.

Next month, my 25-year old daughter and I are going to New York and will spend an afternoon shopping for fabric at what I'm expecting to be some fantastic fabric stores. I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with her and I'll be thinking about my mom as I go up and down the aisles, pulling bolts, feeling the textures, smelling the sizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment